BMW Z3 Engine
The BMW has been producing two-seater sports cars for a very long time. BMW Z3 is one of the most stylish and charming cars ever built in the BMW sports car segment. The BMW Z3 remain in production between the year 1995 and 2002. The BMW uses three different powerful beasts under the hood. Although the BMW has many powerful beasts installed under many hoods, you can know about the top 11 strongest engine of the BMW here. And let’s start with the BMW Z3 Engine.
The BMW Z3 uses 3 kinds of not-so different engines. All the engines are sports engines and since the production of these cars is ban now, the Z3 engine lovers might get upset. However, we bring you the list of all used engines of various classic and modern cars, so that your love for engines remain intact. Now, let’s come back to the BMW Z3, there are 3 different engines and we are going to talk about all three different engines.
BMW Z3 Engine: 1.8L-1.9L M43/M44 I4
The BMW M43 engines are Inline-4 engines with a displacement of 1.6-1.9 L (98-116 cu in). Though the material used in the block is cast iron the engine still isn’t so heavy and aluminium has been used in head production. These are four-cylinder SOCH petrol engine. The type of transmission in these engines is 5-speed GETRAG 250/ZF-31 manual transmission. These engines remain in production from 1991-2002.
The configuration of these engines according to their model number are:
- M43B16-The M43B16 has a displacement of 1,596 cc which is also 97.4 cu. inch. These engines produce the power of 75kW (102 PS) and torque of 150Nm. Also, this engine uses the Bosch Motronic 1.7.1 fuel injection system.
- M43B18-The M43B16 has a displacement of 1,796cc i.e. 109.6 cu in and it produces the power of 85 kW (115 PS) and a torque of 168 Nm (124 lb-ft). Also, this engine uses Bosch Motronic 1.7.1 fuel injection system.
- M43B19- The other name of the M43B16 engine is M43TU. Certainly, this is the largest engine in the M43 segment. The total displacement of this engine is 1,895 cc (115.6 cu in). The engine produces 87 kW (118 PS) of maximum power and 180 Nm of maximum torque.
Note: The camshaft in all the above engines are the same.
The BMW M44 engines are Inline four-cylinder engines with a displacement of 1.9L which is based upon the DOCH. The M44B19 produces the maximum power of 103kW (138 bhp) at 6,000 Rpm, with the maximum torque of 180 Nm at 4,300 Rpm. This engine has a displacement of 1,895 ccs.
BMW Z3 Engine: 2.0L-3.0L M52 I6
The BMW M52 engines have a 6-straight engine configuration and have a displacement from 1,991 cc (121 cu in) to 3,152 cc (192 cu in) which varies in various models of M52 engines. And it has a 4-speed GM Hydra-Matic 4L30E automatic transmission. Aluminium and cast iron both have been used in the production of these engines. And aluminium is used for head production. The BMW has produced these engines from 1994-2000.
The configuration of different variants are as follows:-
- M52B20– This engine has a displacement of 1,991 cc (121 cu in) and produces the maximum power of 110kW (148 bhp) at 5,900 Rpm and a maximum torque of 190 Nm at 4200 Rpm. The production timeline of these engines is 1994-1998.
- M52TUB24- This engine comes with a displacement of 2,394 cc (146 cu in) and produces a maximum power of 135kW (181 bhp) at 5,900 Rpm and a maximum torque of 240 Nm at 3,600 Rpm. The production of M52TUB24 continued from 1998-2000.
- M52B25- This generates a maximum power of 125kW (168 bhp) at 5,500 Rpm and a maximum torque of 245 Nm at 3,950 Rpm. This engine has a displacement of 2,494 cc (152 cu in). The BMW company continued to produce this engine from 1995-1998.
- M52B28- With a displacement of 2,793 cc (170 cu in) this engine produces the maximum power of 142 kW (190 bhp) at 5,300 Rpm and a maximum torque of 280 Nm at 3,950 Rpm. The engine debuted in the market in 1995. This engine has a bore of 84 mm (3.3 in), and a stroke of 84 mm (3.3 in).
Note: The TU stands for “Technical Update”, in which variable valve timing adds up to the exhaust camshaft.
Engine: 3.2L S50/S52/S54 I6
The BMW Z3 S50 is the upgraded version of the M50. This is a straight-6 configured engine and has a displacement of 3.0 L- 3.2L. This engine has a 5 speed GM 5L40-E/ZF 5HP automatic transmission system. The same material is used for the production block and head, the same used in M50. The valvetrain system in this engine is DOHC, with VVT.
The configurations of various models of these engines are:
- S50B30: With a displacement of 7,200 Rpm this engine produces a maximum power of 210 kW (286 PS; 282 bhp). As well as the bore of this engine is 86 mm and a stroke of 85.8 mm with a compression ratio of 10.8:1.
- S50B32: This engine is the replacement of S50B30 with an increase in power output. And the new power output for this engine is 236 kW (321 PS; 316 bhp) and the displacement increased to 3.2 L; 195.3 cu in (3,201 cc). In addition, this engine has double-VANOS. And the manufactures also add an extra oil pick-up.
Note: VANOS stands for Variable Valve Timing On Both Camshaft.
Do you know the fact that the BMW Z3 appeared in the James Bond Movie? Only the body of the car has shown in the movie. But we know that BMW is the one company that literally brings the power of an aircraft engine to an automobile engine. Read more about BMW 128i and BMW M2 engines.